WA2UK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cooking a meal in foil on hot coals

2 posters

Go down

Cooking a meal in foil on hot coals Empty Cooking a meal in foil on hot coals

Post by mistral Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:59 am

Next Monday afternoon I need to teach my Cub Scouts how to light a fire, and then let them cook something in the coals.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Some of them need to cook a meal in foil. Now, I know how to make the best foil package for cooking in that doesn't leak, and we did a meat and veges meal last November, but I would like to let them cook something different.
Does anyone have any ideas? Please, not spuds. Also, my cooking time is very limited, so something that will take no more than 30 mins to cook. I aim to prepare at home, and bring already wrapped and ready to cook. I have easy access to loads of sausages, some dehydrated peas and beans, herbs and spices. Anything else I'll need to purchase.

I have 3 dessert ideas: damper (Cub request), cake mix in a hollowed out orange, and bananas stuffed with choc pieces and mini-marshmallows.
mistral
mistral
Krill
Krill

Back to top Go down

Cooking a meal in foil on hot coals Empty Re: Cooking a meal in foil on hot coals

Post by Maverick Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:34 pm

Get a chicken Maryland and put in the foil, with some lemon and thyme (and maybe a "dob" of butter" ) depending on how fatty the chook is, wrap them up well and dig a hole place some coals in the bottom of the hole and put the chicken on top , put about 1 inch of sand on top of the chicken and then some more coals then cover the coals with some more sand , 15 to 25 mins depending on how "hot" the coals are will se it sweet and tender, I would recommend a dense wood so it keeps the heat in longer and the cooking time down.

Maverick
Krill
Krill

Back to top Go down

Cooking a meal in foil on hot coals Empty Re: Cooking a meal in foil on hot coals

Post by mistral Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:05 am

Thank you very much, that is a delightful recipe and very useful. The Cubs are fascinated to find out you can have proper meals with a cooking fire, not just sausages. And, more importantly, they've learned the difference between a bonfire and a cooking fire - and that Scouts don't have bonfires.
mistral
mistral
Krill
Krill

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum